Gay Kenya Trust is a human rights and media advocacy organization for lesbian, gay and bisexual persons, committed to the defense of their civil liberties, through community education, opinion publications and legal petitions that redress discriminatory processes denying LGB people safety, dignity and equal participation in society.
GKT’s ultimate goal is the attainment of a society that does not define and /or discriminate against persons on grounds of their sexual orientation.
Gay Kenya’s vision is to be a leading human rights advocacy organization for the attainment of a society that is inclusive and free from discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation
Our mission is to advocate for human rights in order to create legal reforms that enshrine values of inclusivity and nondiscrimination of LGB persons.
- To advocate against all forms of legal, social, cultural and economic discrimination and persecution of Kenyans who identify as LGB
- To work for the accomplishment of respect and greater tolerance in society towards sexual minority persons through awareness creation, greater participation in the socio-political arena and bettering their standard of living
- To create a united, focused infrastructure that will support the overall well being of LGB people in Kenya through innovative and emerging opportunities.
- To create a platform where issues affecting LGB persons can be addressed and aired while having recorded data on LGB issues across the country.
- Offering a one stop point for access to information on LGB issues
Gay Kenya’s key priority areas of focus include human rights advocacy and training, inclusivity, legal reform, media advocacy and communication as well as empowerment of LGB persons.